Ahead of National Geographic’s highly anticipated upcoming new limited series A SMALL LIGHT, it was revealed today that Ariel Marx (“Candy,” “Shiva Baby,” “American Horror Story”) serves as composer and GRAMMY®-nominated Este Haim (“The White Lotus” season two, “Maid,” “Cha Cha Real Smooth”) is the executive music producer for the series. The album’s original score from Marx, A SMALL LIGHT ORIGINAL SCORE album, will be released on Hollywood Records on May 19 on all streaming platforms.
Additionally, A SMALL LIGHT SONGS FROM THE LIMITED SERIES, which will include exclusive covers from renowned musical talents — including Danielle Haim, Kamasi Washington, Sharon Van Etten featuring Michael Imperioli, Angel Olsen, Weyes Blood, Remi Wolf, King Princess and Orville Peck, and Moses Sumney ― will be released on May 23. All songs were co-produced by Este Haim. “Till We Meet Again” was co-produced by Rostam.
The songs from the limited series will be released as follows:
- “Till We Meet Again” by Danielle Haim (originally performed by Doris Day) – Featured in episode one and to be released on Friday, May 5
- “Cheryl” by Kamasi Washington (originally performed by Charlie Parker) – Featured in episode two and to be released on Friday, May 5
- “I Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” by Sharon Van Etten and featuring spoken word by Michael Imperioli (originally performed by The Ink Spots) – Featured in episode three and to be released on Tuesday, May 9
- “My Reverie” by Angel Olsen (originally performed by Larry Clinton & His Orchestra, featuring Patti Dugan) – Featured in episode four and to be released on Tuesday, May 9
- “When You’re Smiling” by Weyes Blood (originally performed by Ella Fitzgerald) – Featured in episode five and to be released on Tuesday, May 16
- “Autumn Leaves” by Remi Wolf (originally performed by Nat King Cole) – Featured in episode six and to be released on Tuesday, May 16
- “I’m Making Believe” by King Princess and Orville Peck (originally performed by Bing Crosby) – Featured in episode seven and to be released on Tuesday, May 23
- “I’ll Be Seeing You” by Moses Sumney (originally performed by Billie Holiday) – Featured in episode eight and to be released on Tuesday, May 23
“In the spirit of the series, the score has a timelessness and honesty to it, as it does not shy away from the rawness and human experience of the war. Amidst the terror, loss and bravery, there was beauty, joy and even humor — the score lives in the every day, both the ordinary and extraordinary,” said composer Ariel Marx. “I am so grateful to Tony Phelan, Joan Rater, Susanna Fogel and the whole Disney/NatGeo team for trusting me to write the music for this outstanding and relevant series.”
“I can’t begin to express what an honor and a privilege it is to be a part of this series, especially as my first role as an EMP,” said Este Haim. “Miep’s story is one of a modern woman standing up for what is right, and that should continue to inspire all of us. I am so thrilled to be able to help bring this to life through the power of music.”
Based on an inspiring true story, Miep Gies (Bel Powley) was young, carefree and opinionated — at a time when opinions got you killed ― when Otto Frank (Liev Schreiber) asked her to help hide his family from the Nazis during WWII. Told with a modern sensibility, A SMALL LIGHT shakes the cobwebs off history and makes Miep’s story more relevant than ever, forcing audiences to ask themselves what they would have done in Miep’s shoes; and in modern times, asking if they would have the courage to stand up to hatred. Some stood by; Miep stood up.
The powerful series, produced by ABC Signature and Keshet Studios, will have a multinetwork launch on Monday, May 1, at 9/8c with a simulcast across National Geographic, Nat Geo WILD and Lifetime of the first two episodes. On Saturday, May 6, at 8/7c, Freeform will encore the premiere episodes. For the full series run, two episodes will debut every Monday at 9/8c on National Geographic, stream the next day on Disney+ and Hulu, and will be available on the Nat Geo TV and ABC apps.
A SMALL LIGHT is produced by ABC Signature and Keshet Studios for National Geographic. Executive producers and writers Joan Rater and Tony Phelan (ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Council of Dads”) serve as showrunners; DGA Award-winner and Emmy®-nominated executive producer Susanna Fogel (“The Flight Attendant,” “Cat Person”) directs multiple episodes, including the pilot; and William Harper executive produces. For Keshet Studios, executive producers are Peter Traugott and Lisa Roos, Alon Shtruzman for Keshet International, and Avi Nir for Keshet Media Group.