Back in August, Scarlett Johansson created quite a stir when it was reported the actress had filed a lawsuit against The Walt Disney Company over Black Widow’s streaming release on Disney+. The actress cited breach of contract because the Marvel Studios film had been guaranteed an exclusive theatrical release when she signed her contract.
Disney was quick to respond to the claim saying the lawsuit had “no merit whatsoever” and also said it was “sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.”
Now it seems the two have reached a settlement, however, the sum of the settlement is undisclosed. Deadline’s sources claim the deal will run to more than $40 million and the funds will not be paid by Disney in a single lump sum.
“I am happy to have resolved our differences with Disney,” said Johansson in a statement released Thursday. “I’m incredibly proud of the work we’ve done together over the years and have greatly enjoyed my creative relationship with the team. I look forward to continuing our collaboration in years to come.”
“I’m very pleased that we have been able to come to a mutual agreement with Scarlett Johansson regarding Black Widow, said Alan Bergman, Chairman, Disney Studios Content. “We appreciate her contributions to the Marvel Cinematic Universe and look forward to working together on a number of upcoming projects, including Disney’s Tower of Terror.”