The Star Wars Rogue One prequel for Disney+ is a go and will begin shooting later this year. The news was confirmed today by Diego Luna in an article on ETOnline. The actor said he will be reprising his role of Cassian Andor in the series.
“Yes, we are doing it. We are doing it this year,” he told ET while promoting season two of his Netflix series, Narcos: Mexico. “It’s happening, and I’m getting ready for it.”
Details are scare right now, but Luna did say he was “really excited” about some of the scripts he’s read so far.
The Rogue One series was originally supposed to start shooting last year, but the project got delayed. The show will follow Cassian’s adventures during the formative years of the Rebellion, before the events of Rogue One. Also joining Diego Luna is Rogue One’s Alan Tudyk who will return to reprise his role as the former Imperial enforcer droid K-2SO, who was reprogrammed to help the Rebel Alliance.
There is no release date for the series as of yet. In the meantime, you can catch Luna in the debut of season two of Narcos: Mexico, which begins streaming on Netflix on February 13. You can also watch Rogue One: A Star Wars Story which is available to stream now on Disney+.