Hollywood Records has released the soundtrack album for Steven Spielberg’s upcoming film adaptation of “West Side Story” which premieres in theaters on December 10, 2021.
The soundtrack is available in two versions, including a Dolby Atmos Music edition, to stream/download now on a variety of digital platforms including Amazon.
The album features the songs from the movie originally written for the stage musical by Leonard Bernstein and with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. The record is produced by David Newman who arranged and adapted Bernstein’s original score for the film, Jeanine Tesori who supervised the cast on vocals and music supervisor Matt Sullivan who serves as an executive music producer. Gustavo Dudamel conducted the New York Philharmonic during the first recording sessions in 2019, with additional recording by the Los Angeles Philharmonic done the following year.
You can view the track list from the album below:
2. La Borinqueña (Sharks Version) – David Alvarez & Sharks
3. Jet Song – Mike Faist, Kyle Coffman, Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Patrick Higgins & Jets
4. Something’s Coming – Ansel Elgort
5. The Dance at the Gym: Blues, Promenade
6. The Dance at the Gym: Mambo
7. The Dance at the Gym: Cha-Cha, Meeting Scene, Jump
8. Maria – Ansel Elgort
9. Balcony Scene (Tonight) – Rachel Zegler & Ansel Elgort
10. Transition to Scherzo / Scherzo
11. America – Ariana DeBose, David Alvarez, Ana Isabelle, Jennifer Florentino, Natalie Toro, Arianna Rosario, Ilda Mason, Jeanette Delgado, Annelise Cepero, Tanairi Sade Vazquez, Jamila Velazquez, Edriz E. Rosa Pérez, Melody Martí, Gaby Diaz, Juliette Feliciano, Isabella Ward, Maria Alexis Rodriguez, Yesenia Ayala, Gabriela M. Soto, Sebastian Serra, Julius Anthony Rubio, Ricardo A. Zayas, Yurel Echezarreta, Kelvin Delgado, Ricky Ubeda, Carlos Sánchez Falú, Adriel Flete, Jacob Guzman, Carlos E. Gonzalez, David Avilés Morales, Andrei Chagas & David Guzman
12. Gee, Officer Krupke – Kevin Csolak, John Michael Fiumara, Jess LeProtto, Ben Cook, Kyle Allen, Myles Erlick & Patrick Higgins
13. One Hand, One Heart – Ansel Elgort & Rachel Zegler
14. Cool – Ansel Elgort & Mike Faist
15. Tonight (Quintet) – Mike Faist, David Alvarez, Ariana DeBose, Ansel Elgort, Rachel Zegler, Jets & Sharks
16. The Rumble
17. I Feel Pretty – Rachel Zegler, Ana Isabelle, Ilda Mason, Annelise Cepero, Jamila Velazquez, Andréa Burns, Tanairi Sade Vazquez & Yassmin Alers
18. Somewhere – Rita Moreno
19. A Boy Like That / I Have a Love – Ariana DeBose & Rachel Zegler
21. End Credits
Directed by Academy Award® winner Steven Spielberg, from a screenplay by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award® winner Tony Kushner, “West Side Story” tells the classic tale of fierce rivalries and young love in 1957 New York City. This reimagining of the beloved musical stars Ansel Elgort (Tony); Rachel Zegler (María); Ariana DeBose (Anita); David Alvarez (Bernardo); Mike Faist (Riff); Josh Andrés Rivera (Chino); Ana Isabelle (Rosalía); Corey Stoll (Lieutenant Schrank); Brian d’Arcy James (Officer Krupke); and Rita Moreno (as Valentina, who owns the corner store in which Tony works). Moreno – one of only three artists to be honored with Academy®, Emmy®, GRAMMY®, Tony® and Peabody Awards – also serves as one of the film’s executive producers.
Bringing together the best of both Broadway and Hollywood, the film’s creative team includes Kushner, who also serves as an executive producer; Tony Award® winner Justin Peck, who choreographed the musical numbers in the film; renowned Los Angeles Philharmonic conductor and GRAMMY Award® winner Gustavo Dudamel, who helmed the recording of the iconic score; Academy Award®-nominated composer and conductor David Newman (“Anastasia”), who arranged the score; Tony Award®-winning composer Jeanine Tesori (“Fun Home,” “Thoroughly Modern Millie”), who supervised the cast on vocals; and Grammy®-nominated music supervisor Matt Sullivan (“Beauty and the Beast,” “Chicago”), who served as executive music producer for the film. The film is produced by Spielberg, Academy Award®-nominated producer Kristie Macosko Krieger and Tony Award®-winning producer Kevin McCollum. “West Side Story” has been adapted for the screen from the original 1957 Broadway show, with book by Arthur Laurents, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and concept, direction and choreography by Jerome Robbins.
You can watch a trailer for “West Side Story” below:
Source: Film Music Reporter